Statement from Hamblen County schools superintendent Dr. Jeff Perry:
We understand that parents need as much information as they can to prepare for the upcoming school year. We had planned to release some of this information later, but many parents needed the information sooner. Please review the following and contact us if you have any questions.
1. We will reopen on September 8 on a hybrid model. This means parents can opt to have their child(ren) attend school online or in person. Students who attend school in person in grades 3–12 will be required to wear a mask while at school. We will basically have the same protocols as we outlined for our earlier July 31 opening date. Preschool will be offered only as an in-person model. Parents will lose their slot if their child does not attend the preschool program in person.
2. Parents who choose for their child(ren) to participate in the online school option will need to complete and submit the online registration form to let us know you want to participate in online instruction. We will post this new online registration form on our main district website from August 17–24. We are asking parents to complete this new online registration process to provide us with updated and additional information. Even if you already completed the registration form for online instruction previously, we need you to resubmit the form. Please complete this new registration process by August 24 so we may effectively plan for instructional programming. Paper copies of the online registration form are available at the central office if you cannot complete the online form.
3. We will provide another opportunity for parents to participate in an online training session which will enable them to effectively participate in online instruction. We will provide an in-person session on August 31 at each of our schools. We will provide parents with an opportunity to come in at 12:00 noon or 6:00 p.m. Parents will also have the opportunity to participate in a virtual orientation training session if they do not want to come into the schools. This virtual training is currently located on our main district website.
4. We will deploy the computers to parents/students who have elected to participate online instruction later in August or the first of September. We will give parents this date later as soon as we have the computers ready to go.
5. We will cancel all volleyball, football, and soccer games through the month of August. Golf and cross county will continue as scheduled. We will allow volleyball, football, and soccer competition to resume the first week of September. This will include middle and high school athletics. Details for student participation, safety guidelines, and visitors to the games will be posted to our website.
6. We are asking parents to complete the student demographic enrollment process as soon as you can if you have not already done so. You can complete this process online, or you can get a paper copy from your school. This is the annual process all parents are asked to complete before the start of school. This updates all your contact and medical information. The vast majority of parents have already completed this process, but we will use this information to contact you about important upcoming events.
7. We will conduct a virtual open house on September 3 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. You will soon receive specific details from your school. You must ensure your contact information has been updated through the student demographic enrollment process to receive this information.
8. We do have daycare available for all parents needing childcare so they can return to work. Our ESP program is open from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The program is housed at Hillcrest, Russellville and Alpha Elementary Schools. Please contact Stacy Gibson if you are interested in this program.